nce a country retreat for Philadelphia's most prominent families, Radnor remains a lovely residential community on the Main Line. Radnor is home to many corporate offices. Excellent shopping and commercial establishments are found along Route 30.
Radnor is a community is rich in architectural attractions, including the Estate Woodcrest which is now a part of Cabrini College. Radnor is situated in both Radnor and Tredyffrin townships and Delaware and Chester Counties. Radnor High School, known as one of the best high schools in the country is located in Radnor.
When William Penn was planning the settlement of Pennsylvania, he promised Welsh Quakers land in the new colony and sold them 40,000 acres. This was known as the "Welsh Tract" and included present townships of Haverford, Merion, Radnor and part of Goshen. Among the purchasers was a Richard Davies who bought 5,000 acres and in turn sold them to "Friends of Radnorshire in Wales." These Friends settled what eventually became known as Radnor Township. Radnor Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends dates as early as 1693. The present Radnor Friends Meeting was erected in 1718.
Radnor Historical Society
© Main Line Video Guide