Valley Forge National Historic Park
In 1776 the capital city of the American colonists was Philadelphia. Throughout the Main Line area George Washington and American patriots engaged in battles with the British. Washington lost to the redcoats at Brandywine Creek on September 11, 1977. On September 14, Washington's Army crossed the Schuylkill at Belmont Hills and made camp behind Merion Friends Meetinghouse. On September 16, near the site of present day Immaculata College, the "Battle of the Clouds", named for the north-easterner that disabled guns and spoiled ammunition, was literally a wash out. On September 20, General Wayne along with men, on a mission apart from the main army, was ambushed at the Paoli Massacre. On October 4, Washington lost again at the Battle of Germantown. The British occupied Philadelphia. Local residents were caught in between the two armies and the Main Line became a no man's land that neither side controlled. Patriots accused the peace loving Quakers of being Tories, although quietly they favored the patriots. Washington's men camped at Whitemarsh in November to December 1777. On December 19, 1777 Washington and his army set up a winter encampment at Valley Forge. The troops built cabins and many of the officers found accommodations in the nearby farmhouses. Today, at Valley Forge National Historic Park you can see Knox's , Maxwell's, Sterling's and Lafayette's Quarters that are located within Tredyffrin Township.
© Main Line Video Guide